Thursday, October 2, 2014

Blog Assignment 2


            Out of the three network laws we discussed in class – Sarnoff’s Law, Metcalfe's Law, and Reed’s Law – I would say that I agree with Sarnoff’s Law the most. I state this because I think it is the most basic law and that it is not making too large of a statement. It makes sense that the value of a network would increase linearly as the number of people on it rises. If a lot of people are watching television station or listening to a radio station, that television/radio station's value is going to increase. It is very understandable and to-the-point. The other two laws are fine, but have more critiques. I know there are critiques for Sarnoff’s Law as well, but I believe it has fewer than the others because it is a more conservative statement. More people are going to agree with a law that makes the most sense, is the most accurate in its findings, and produces the least critiques; I believe Sarnoff’s Law fits this description. And although it may not be the most applicable nowadays, I do still think it is the most coherent.
            Five years from now, I think that people will be getting their information largely from the Internet. Books, newspapers, and other printed materials will still be around, but I do not think they will be utilized as often. Information that is on a computer, tablet, or smartphone will probably be the most-accessed information. And when we are using these devices, we are usually on either the Internet or on applications. Television will most likely continue to be popular, but I am guessing that more people will access it via their computers. We seem to be heading in a direction that is leading us away from printed materials and towards online materials. Although that is sad to me (I love printed materials, such as books), the future seems to be full of more computers, tablets, smartphones, and other such devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment